Sunday, June 10, 2007

Art of leadership


I have been reading the Leadership is an Art. At the beginning of the book there is a great section that reads: "The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between the two, the leader must become a servant and a debtor. " - Max De Pree

The thing that stood out to me was that the leader is suppose to define what reality is. That means an open and level-headed approach to what is actually going on. However leaders can also take that and twist it to be their reality or some other made up something.

It was also interesting to see so much of the focus of leadership throughout this book be on serving and indebtedness. Most books that I have read about leadership lately are more about how to stand out in a crowd and how to make the best impression.

I highly recommend this book! As it points out how to be the type of leader that I would want to follow. Being that servant to others is going to be the best way to lead. I think I remember something about that somewhere else.....

No comments: