Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Thoughts from the movies... Evan Almighty

My family and I went to see Even Almighty last night. I know that it has gotten less then rousing reviews and has been called a dud next to the first 'Almighty' movie. However I have to say it was actually pretty entertaining.


One of the main things that stood out in this movie:
Was that it was awesome to be able to take my kids (5 & 3) to see a movie that didn't involve an animated character (of offense Shrek) or a small child as the main person in the movie.


Then there is Morgan Freeman who as everyone knows plays God. I think that is one of the best castings anywhere. In this movie there are a couple things that jumped out in how God connected or interacted with some of the characters.


The first was when God talks about how he answers prayers. "If someone asks for patience, do you think God gives them patience or opportunities to practice patience?" This is such a true statement. Be careful what you pray for, you better get prepared for opportunities to grow in that area that you are asking for.


The next thing was right at the end of the movie. Evan has followed what God told him to do, even though it made him quite the odd-ball around his neighborhood and the country. As he is spending time with his family God shows up and has one last thing he wants to do, 'The dance' with Evan.


As much as I know that using comparisons to what we have on earth probably don't compare to the 'bigg-ness' that is God, thinking of God like a parent makes me wonder if when we do something good, even if it is something small like the random act of kindness to someone, does He do a little dance?


I know for myself, there are few things that are as much fun as putting on some jazz on and dancing around the living room with Ethan and Adline. Just twirling to the music, enjoying each others company, happy to be a family. It doesn't matter how good you dance, if you know the words, or maybe even if you have any rhythm at all, just moving together. Being happy. Sharing time. I think God is like that.

The result is: I really liked the movie. It is great for families. You will laugh. And you might even be prompted to think a little bit. Not bad.

No comments: