Thursday, July 19, 2007

Email going in the wrong direction


This has been commented on by other blogs and is being discussed quite heavily over at Digg. But I felt it was worth commenting on.

It is the concept of creating a 3D world to represent your email. The company has put together a trailer and everything. This whole concept is wrong on so many levels that it isn't worth burning the brain cells to go through every one of them. But the biggest thing that stood out to me right away is that this product will only work for people who don't get that much email.

For most users of the web, email is something that we get too much of and have a hard time focusing on it (of course that might be the ADD kicking in), or returning the messages that we need to. To create an environment that uses some convoluted virtual world thinking that forces me to visualize my email and figure out how this 3d world works only requires that I burn more or my time with my email. Which is exactly the wrong direction. I want to find ways to streamline/hack my life to be able to do more in less time, not spend more time doing the things that I am already doing.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

No comments: