Thursday, July 12, 2007

Great thought leaders: Andy Stanley

Andy Stanley is one of my favorite speaker, author and leader today. In everything that he does he has the ability to synthesize complex thoughts and ideas down to the core principle and then present it in such a way that it will stick with you. You can check out his teaching at the NorthPoint site or get podcasts via iTunes.

He has also written a bunch of books, which for me have been life changing reads.

The first book of Andy's that I read was Choosing to Cheat. It came at a time when I was really struggling to discover the balance between work and family. Ethan was born and I was wanting to be a dad that was there and involved in my family's life, but yet it seemed that I was needed more and more at work if I was going to get ahead. This book helped to bring some clarity to that.
It also helped me to work through several other various decisions that we have made to keep the family life center.



Louder than words is a book that I wish I had read as a teenager. It works through how to set and plan to live a life with no regrets. The way to do that is through character. The book contains step by step walk through for what character is and how to develop it in your life.


The best question ever is a book that everyone should read and then probably read again. The premise of the book is, looking at my past, considering my present situation and my future hopes and dreams, what is the wise thing for me to do? As Andy breaks down these aspects and you start to apply this filter to your decisions and thoughts it is a powerful thing.


7 Habits of effective ministry have helped me a ton as I work to build teams and to work through projects and developing applications at work. And I don't work for a church. These principles can be applied to any setting and are effective. You can learn more about them at the practically speaking site. They are:
#1 Clarify the Win
#2 Think steps not programs
#3 Narrow the focus
#4 Teach less for more
#5 Listen to outsiders
#6 Replace yourself
#7 Work on it

Andy has other great books out such as Visioneering (which is about taking your vision and creating a plan to actually achieve it), It came from within (which is about guarding your heart so that a 'beast' doesn't develop)

Below is a video I found on Youtube. Check it out: Leadership is temporary and you are accountable.



No comments: