Monday, February 18, 2008

People who I really like: My Dentist


This might sound odd to some people to blog about their dentist. But a little history here: I have horrible teeth. When I was growing up my parents would take me to dentists who seemed to get a strange pleasure out of making a small kid (Me) bleed as much as possible. They were not gentle, and they seemed to border on violent - at least as far as my mouth was concerned. Then there was the dentist with the hairy fingers - that was before they wore gloves all the time, but that is another story.

Thus when I was on my own - I didn't go to a dentist for quite awhile. Around 4 years or so. There was just no way I was going to get back in a chair and let someone wreck havoc on my mouth. But when you create a much plaque as I do - I needed to have someone clean my teeth off otherwise i was going to have a una-tooth as they all fused together.

So I found a dentist that was right downtown Rochester who I could walk to from work and tried that out. And I have to say, it was awesome. Philip Wadkins is the first person in the world that told me I had 'Great teeth'. Which one him brownie points right there. But the other thing that I admire about him is that he is not an extremist.

Most of the dentists that I had been forced to go to in the past would hype the fact that they felt that all of my teeth were about to fly right out of my head if I didn't have all kinds of procedures. Most of them long and all of them progressively more painful.

Philip Wadkins is not like that. Everything is taken in stride and talked through in clam language that you can understand. That and he has quite a bit of high tech gadgets around his office that make watching out for your teeth cool.

Also his staff is amazing! They all recognize you - even though it has been 6 months or sometimes more since your last visit. And somehow they are able to remember little tid-bits about your life that they can engage you in conversation that make you feel that they really care about how you are doing.

This is THE SPOT to go if you are looking for a dentist in Rochester, Minnesota. Just don't everyone go at once because I still want to keep my spot there.

No comments: