Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Book review: The Alchemist

I had seen this book on a couple of best seller lists, but was intrigued by the title and picked it up. It is the story of a shepherd who goes on the search of a treasure that he learns about in a dream. It is an interesting story and one that attempts to be more then just an adventure story and succeeds.

There is so much great dialogue between 'the boy' who is the main character of the story and various people that he meets and interacts with that if I attempted to pull out all of the amazing pieces I might as well just type the book out here in this post.

The main points of this book as I read them were:
  • Find your passion/dream
  • Pursue it without regard
  • Don't be so worried about things you can't control
  • Listen to the world that is around you - be aware
  • Learn to listen to your heart, don't trust it completely but listen
  • Engage with those around you - they have things to teach you
  • The pursuit of a dream is often not attempted or is given up on because it is hard
  • And on and on

I guess the best thing for you to do is just get a copy and read it. While at times it felt a little new-agey, it is never the less very powerful and very inspiring.

No comments: