Sunday, April 11, 2010

Fairness


It is interesting that we all want to play the 'life isn't fair card' in truth it seems that we only go down this path when something doesn't go the way that we think it should. That is when life isn't fair. When life goes sour for someone else, sometimes I think about how life isn't fair for that person, but most often I think that they are really unlucky or maybe made some bad choices in life.

Because the truth of the matter is that life isn't fair. I am not sure that it ever was. We are all born with different wiring and skill sets. We are all born into different situations. But we all want 'fair'.

When I look at my life I know that it isn't fair. I was born into a family that taught me that hard work is the key to a good life. They instilled a strong moral compass. I have been given a great job that at times I wonder how I got to where I am at. I have the best wife and kids that one could even dream of. My life is not fair. And I like it that way.

But even with all of that, I still wonder about fairness. Why don't some things happen the 'way that they should?' And just saying 'that's life' just doesn't cut it for me. I think instead, the focus needs to be on the positive 'not fair' things in my life. Not the few bumps and bruises.

Life isn't fair. And maybe that is ok?

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I grew up with a mother who did her darndest to make things fair. I can't say that it did me any favors. Because you're right, life isn't fair. I've come to the same conclusion that you did... All things being equal... if life were fair... I'd be in some pretty big trouble... instead of the blessed that I am.