Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Being open and yet being smart

I had an education moment this last week when in an attempt to create some humor I posted about goofing off during a conference call. This was dumb. Not only because some of the people that were on that call are my 'friends' but also because it just wasn't a smart thing to put out online. After being reminded that this wasn't the smartest thing in the world to post, I quickly took it down.

But it got me to think again about how important it is that you keep some of your thoughts in your head and that they are not all things that are meant to be shared more broadly. I want to be as transparent as I can, but who I really am is someone who can 'shoot from the hip' and attempt humor in sititations where it isn't always wanted or needed. That means that not all of me should be broadcast.

While this has been a little bit of a learning for me, I guess I feel somewhat vindcated in that there are others who are learning that they can't or shouldn't publish all of their thoughts either.

No comments: