Friday, May 18, 2007

The next step

How does one create a continued life change?

There is something about trying to create a life change or to become a better person that almost seems futile. I think at least for my own life that I may have found out why. Now if I can only follow through with it.

What seems to happen is that when I start to evaluate my life and look at where I should be or want to be, I see this 'ideal' out on the horizon of where I feel like I should get to. If I continue to chase that ideal I never seem to achieve it.

The biggest disconnect seems to be that if I change something too far away I don't take into consideration the various steps that need to happen to actually get there. Which then just leads to frustration.

Another thing that seems to paralyze me when trying to improve who I am is that if I continue to be focused on goals that are seemingly forever away, it is easy to get distracted and thus end up more off track then when I started.

What I have to do is to acknowledge that there is a goal that I want to get to, but rather then focus on that final point I have to see what is my 'next step' towards that goal and focus on that.

If I can keep my eyes on my next step, not only does it become easier to make that step it also helps to create longer term momentum towards my ultimate goal.

This thought process is probably a no-brainer for everyone else in the universe, but for me it has been a huge mind shift and has allowed me to make great improvements in my leadership skills, my personal and spiritual life, and even losing weight.

So what is my next step?

No comments: