Wednesday, June 6, 2007

More like Phyllis

"Be the change that you want to see in the world" is a great quote by Ghandi

It is often associated with sweeping changes and movements.
However we all have the ability to change something for the better today. Even if it is a little thing.

The lady who is the crossing guard at my children's elementary school is like this. Her name is Phyllis. She is probably in her mid-70s. And she is totally dedicated to her job. She is there like clockwork every day. She keeps an eye on cars that are going to fast by the school and even will write down their license plate if she can to call it in. If someone is going too fast or not paying attention and has to slam on their breaks to stop so that kids can cross - Phyllis will get in front of their car and wave her finger at them.

And you know, I have no fear for my children's safety coming and going from school. Because I know that Phyllis is going to be there.

She is totally dedicated to her job. She does it well. And it makes me feel good.

If I could only be more like Phyllis. Be totally dedicated. And in the long run - hopefully make people feel better by being around me.

So here is to all of the Phyllis'.

Thank you.

No comments: