Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Gordan Ramsay is not God

I was catching up on some shows on our DVR last night and was watching Hell's Kitchen. I really like this show even though it always plays the same way. Cooks who want to be chef's line up, screw up orders, get yelled at by Gordan, are surprised that they are getting yelled at, then back-bite each other and melt down. It also makes me wonder how many people have their fingers in my food (as they are always touching the meat to make sure it is done) but that is another thing.

Something that ran through my head as I was watching the show last night was that for a good chunk of my life, I have seen God to be like Gordan Ramsay. Someone who demands perfection. Someone who has a slight British accent (the whole King James thing I guess). And someone who will throw a fit if I don't maintain or reach perfection.

As I have gotten older, I have discovered a couple things.

I think God is big enough to not have a cow if and when I screw stuff up. I often think I am important, but I am pretty sure that God's world will keep going even when I forget to add salt, or serve cold chicken.

I am also pretty sure that God understands my wiring and knows that it isn't going to be perfect all the time and in most cases it may never be 'perfect'. After all He was the one that put me together.

The previous two items not withstanding, I do think that God expects me to do my best in whatever it is that I do. It won't be perfect - which is good because it takes a lot of the pressure off. And I will screw up. But that doesn't mean that I should stop trying harder and reaching farther.

I have not yet totally arrived at what God is. He seems pretty big. But I do know this. He is not Gordan Ramsay.

No comments: